One wall of The Pond Froze Over The other day, I dashed into what was a radiant and sensitive show up at Procession Gallery, The Pond Froze Over . I stepped through the space with the slightness and waver of a pencil’s line--just in the way that the space’s atmosphere compelled me to; you could not step boldly through the room for you would drown out the sound of the works--quivering as they were as though (or perhaps they actually were) balancing on a singular spot of softness. Early in my arrival, in the midst of getting my bearings, I happened to turn around and face the outside that I came from, and there happened to be someone out there, on the other side of the street, tagging, with black spray paint, a few objects that were leaning against the brick side wall of a building. This filled me with glee. It fulfilled the strange rareness of witnessing someone mark-make while being surrounded by mark-making in the past tense--unwitnessed marks already having been made. These few thoug...
Seeing Daisy in Cleveland makes me want to draw with a more wobbly line. [This initial sentence led to a notebook exchange between Daisy and me: We began by each writing a question in our notebooks and then trading notebooks to write our corresponding answers. So, we had two writing/drawing conversations going simultaneously. We continued this asking and responding for a few rounds, and ended on questions not yet answered.] — — — Here is what took place in my notebook: OG: Daisy, what do you think your line is like? Would you say it’s wobbly? DD: I think my line, or a line more broadly, can be expressed in different ways… line type (quality, size) relationship to other lines (perpendicular, parallel, random, contained) image function (creation of planes ↔ breaking up planes, representational ↔ abstract, etc.) I like lines that create a feeling of repetition and also a sort of layering. This repetition and layering, I feel, leads to a sense of place or space. I like when looking at...
This post began (but also begins) with this photo: which I took because the sight of what it contains prompted this incomplete thought: [something about when stripes are combined with another thing that very much doesn’t look like stripes.] It’s interesting to me that what I’m calling the “incomplete thought”--the first thing that happened after my viewing, what immediately took place--is really only a template for a thought. The incomplete thought includes simply what’s present in the photo, plus the words “something about”--the template idea here being that “something about” seems to stand for a thought that hasn’t yet happened. These two words that have very little specific meaning were all that got added to what was already given by the image, which feels merely like a demonstration of what it could be to have a thought about this photo--a thought in full being what would theoretically replace the words “something about” with an actual/specific thing . But I suppose the lack ...
Comments
Post a Comment